From: wally anderson [mailto:eyecatcher1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, March 20, 2006 2:33 PM
To: Jim Holland
Subject: RE: FW: [RC] unsupportive spouse/procreating

Mel,

I read your post and wanted to offer my advice. You sound a lot like I once

was.  I never had that maternal urge of wanting to be a mother and wondered

what all the baby gushing was about too!  I would have much rather

gushed over a puppy!  My parents has pretty much given up on any grandchildren and were showing

their friends new pictures of the horses and dogs!!! I was obsessed with my horse, every waking

moment . Every thing I read was horse related!  My husband was ready to have children

but I was too busy doing my thing and did not want to miss out on any ride time.

I was loving the endurance rides and the training rides. well...time marches on

and when I got in my late 30's, My thoughts began to change and I started

thinking about the years to come and realized that horses were not all that I

wanted in my life and part of me would be empty if I did not have a child.

 I had been talking to alot of people and they all told me that

if I still wanted horses in my life bad enough I would figure out a way to have

both! I Rode through my pregnancy and was back riding asap.  I must admit that I  have a wonderful

 husband who helps out as much as he can and

supports my horse habit even though he does not ride. I must say your life does

change but for me it was  all good and I do not regret my decision, I love my little boy, he is

3 now. and I can not imagine my life with out him!

 I still get to ride about 2-3x a week but not the all day moving out  rides that I used to live for.

My horses are getting older now and are basically retired from endurance, but I know

that I can still have endurance in my future at some point, I am still have a lot of friends that

still compete. for now I ride just for the shear love of being on the horse!!

My best advice is just follow what your heart tells you, not what others tell you.

You have to have a child for the right reasons not because you feel pressured.

You may resent the child if that happens.  That is why I waited a long time(we were

married 15 years!) I was ready to not be selfish and give part of myself to another

life!  I now have my own horse farm and I get to see my horses everyday. My

dreams now  are of riding in an endurance ride with my little boy! You are still

young, you have plenty of time, enjoy your horse and your life and the answers

will come, I promise!

Flinn Anderson

AERC#M19791