RE: [RC] kids? - LaFollett, Megan

Wow! Women are amazing. J So it looks like riding is still a “go”. However, I have decided to invest in a new helmet so I’ll actually wear it (my old one is icky) after thinking about all of this. No reason to be silly about safety!

From: Carolyn Burgess [mailto:carolyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, March 20, 2006 2:16 PM
To: LaFollett, Megan; ridecamp
Subject: RE: [RC] kids?

Megan:

My youngest is 26.  When I first found out I was pregnant I asked my doctor if I could still ride.  He asked me if I fall off alot :-)  He said it wasn't a problem to continue riding while pregnant, but he wouldn't recommend starting to ride while pregnant.  I stopped riding at 7 1/2 months because my belly kept hitting the horn (I only had access to western saddles at the time).

Two years ago I was riding a 50 and one of the riders in the ride was definitely pregnant.  That was mid-May.  I saw her at a ride at the end of October with an infant (maybe 6 weeks old), so she had to have been 5 - 6 months pregnant at this 50.  She was back competing (it was a 25 CTR) less than 2 months after having the baby.

Carolyn Burgess