RE: [RC] GPS data - Bob Morris

Kathy:

When I was doing trail mapping a few years back I used a
Trimble survey grade unit with differential post processing.
Repeatability of a known route was in the range of one to
two meters. Point location one meter and route accuracy as
determined by plotting the route in ArcView and over laying
State of Idaho corrected  orthophotos was usually with in
one or two meters. Overlaying the USGS Quads showed that the
quads depiction of the trails system was very, very
inaccurate.  I used a logging period of five seconds. That
is a known location and elevation every five seconds. On a
horse, which I used quite a bit , that means a position
every few feet. On a motorcycle, used on occasion, that
means that at 30 mph (seldom obtained off road) a position
every 44 feet. Fairly close even on irregular trails.

Yes, on occasion the signal was lost. That makes you either
stop and wait or you go back and re do a short section to
get the exact measure. The ArcView soft ware utilizes all
the Trimble output including elevation to produce a very
accurate trail length.

I estimate that we mapped between 750 and 1000 miles of
trails here in SW Idaho for horse and motorcycle use. One
must realize that not every endurance rider has access to
survey grade GOS and software. However, if you are working
with a governmental agency like the BLM or the USFS they do
have the equipment and often are happy to get the trails
mapped. But you have to ask, and ask and ask.

Bob

Bob Morris
Morris Endurance Enterprises
Boise, ID