[RC] GPS data - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Erick paradigm@xxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I wasn't privy to this entire thread, just this message.  Sorry if this is
redundant or has already been discussed.

I have several GPS units.  One attached to my laptop to run my streetfinder
program.  One is a Garmin Aviation unit I use as a backup when flying.  One is
a Magellen unit I use when riding.

One time during a boring cross country drive I had all three units fired up on
the dashboard.  They all three gave identical information going straight down
the interstate.

However, I have found the handheld units both underreport milage when riding on
the trail.  This is consistant with both the expensive aviation unit and the
cheap recreational one.

I believe this must be due to how the units measure distance traveled.  They
all calculate straight line distances from point to point.  If your trail is
straight and no trees obstruct the signal then you should have an accurate
measurement.  However, we know this is rarely the case.

I have yet to experience an "overmeasurement".  My units are consistantly
underreporting distance traveled.

It would be my guess that the old survey wheel is the most accurate way to
measure a trail.  But the cheap pedometer that my wife paid $5 for at Walmart
seems to be amazingly accurate as well.  I marked out a .75 mile trail around
my pastures and a 1.1 mile trail around my neighbors hayfield.  Both the
pedometer and the survey wheel were within feet of each other.  The GPS wasn't
even close.

Hope you find that helpfull.

-Erick-