[RC] Use of Electrolytes and Ulcers - KimFue

I am wondering if there is any more information out there that gives more details on the use of electrolytes and the occurence of ulcers in endurance horses.  Is there a corrolation with the brand or strength of the electrolytes and frequency of ulcers?  I understand that this topic was discussed at the convention and also at the USEF training session at Al Marah.  I have not heard any details from either and was wondering if there is more information out there.  I know there are certain brands of electrolytes that are "stronger" "harsher" and wondering if these contribute more to ulcers in endurance horses.  Are there any legal buffers that can be added that actually help prevent ulcers or irritation?  Is applesauce a real buffer or is it just supposed to make it more palatable for the horse so it is easier to dose the animal?  Is palatability a good indicator that the electrolyte mix will not cause irritation that could lead to ulcers?

I read that 1/2 of horses given electrolyte develop ulcers but isn't this about the same percentage with race horses and show horses.  In other words, can we be sure that it is the electrolytes causing ulcers?  Anyone know the brand or the formula of the electrolytes that was used in the study/studies that Marcia Smith quoted at the USEF training session.   This same article mentions that frequent doses of electrolytes contribute more to ulcers.....I am wondering if they are using a full dose (as directed by those that develop a particular brand of electrolytes) or dividing that dose and giving it more frequently.

I have to say that I am a little concerned when I read about electrolytes, probiotics, etc. and mixing a bunch of concoctions so the horse can handle electrolytes.   Personally I have found for my horses that the dosing instructions on most brands of electrolytes are quite concentrated and I have NEVER followed those instructions and am much more comfortable diluting the concentration and I use a very weak electrolyte.  I must also mention that I do not ride in a region that has high humidity (PS) so I know that my experiences may not reflect what would work in other regions.

I am just concerned that electrolytes are messing with the horse's chemistry and we may be effecting more then just eating and drinking during competition.....we may also be contributing to giving our horses ulcers,   So anybody have anymore information on the ulcer/electrolyte studies that were sited at the convention and at the USEF training session?

Kim Fuess
AERC #6648