[RC] Strange gelding or cryptorchid?? - Ibiteraaarr

Very curious about this, as I didn't think this was possible. Apparently my sister's 12 year old stock type palomino gelding mounted and penetrated a mare he was pastured with...several times, as reported by the barn owner, who is also the owner of the mare. I didn't think geldings could....get excited, let alone...get erect. Is this possible??? Or.... could this horse be a cryptorchid? We've noticed "studdy" behavior in him before when we introduced our friend's horse to ours, all geldings. Toulouse would drive the new horse away, put his body between the two, bite, kick, run the new horse around the pasture. He befriended my gelding without batting an eye, but would not tolerate a newcomer. He likewise gave my horse this similar treatment when I returned him to their "herd" of three when I moved back from Lafayette. In both circumstances, we smoothed things over by rotating the animals back and forth in a temporary paddock, but Toulouse (the "gelding" in question) was always the alpha horse. We really thought he'd been perhaps gelded later then usual, which might explain his tendency for aggressive and dominant behavior. Any thoughts on this? We are most surprised! The mare's owner has been trying to breed her, so he's unconcerned with this, even in the face of having a grade baby. We're actually more bent out of shape about the fact that a gelding is sowing his wild oats! Anyone ever seen this before??

Liz Dorner
Ct. Region