RE: [RC] Sorting by colors and/or behavior - heidi

I have known people who anthropomorphize with a passion and I usually chalk
up the coincidence of their analogies fitting the reality of certain
situations to factors of which we humans are not aware, perhaps pheromones
or micro movements.  Although horses have had thousands of years of
domestication, the bottom line is they were, and still react like, prey.
Ascribing their behavior to THIS fact makes considerably more sense than
that they don't "like" horses of another color...

Oh, most definitely.  They don't "like" or "dislïke" a color in the
sense that we might say, "Oh, blue is my favorite color, and I just
look terrible in orange," but rather in the sense that they don't feel
as comfortable around the horses of the "strange" color.  This reaction
may go away if they are around them for a sufficient time to figure out
that the cougars aren't leaping on the herd because the odd-colored
horse is there.  But there are also other phenotypic things that go
with color, and I suspect there may be subtle differences as well that
we don't even see.

Pecking order itself is a survival tool.  Wild horses needed a smart alpha
mare to lead them away from danger and a strong stallion to defend them.
By viewing pecking order as PRIMARILY a survival tool and only secondarily
as a social skill, it is easier to see why a horse's standing would rise as
its ability to contribute to the herd's survival improved, whether through
experience or training.  I agree that as a horse learns, he gains
confidence but that only accounts for how he feels about himself, not how
the herd feels about him.  A horse's standing in the herd can increase as
he becomes more forceful but it can also rise when he acts smarter.

But that is exactly what confidence does--it changes his behavior.  It
isn't just how he "feels" about himself--it is translated into the very
thing you are saying--the acting smarter and more forceful.

It is
interesting that herds are more calm when #1 is of the "good cop" variety
than when s(he) is a bully.  Ponies are acknowledged as being more feral
(closer to the wild state) than horses.  They've been call sneaky, wily,
too smart for their own good.  If pecking order were always about brute
force, they would never be at the top yet hardly any of us hasn't heard of
a pasture whose #1 is a little pony.

I was blessed with one of those "benevolent dictator" mares for over 20
years.  She was my foundation broodmare, and came onto our place as a
scrawny, undernourished 2-year-old.  Dad had two mares at the time--a
big Appy and a big QH, both of which were vigorously jockeying for
position as #1.  Rishira walked out into the pasture, took about a
minute to "clean house," and we never had another argument on the place
again, even when she eventually became "queen" over quite a bunch of
broodmares.  There was peace in the ranks, and nobody fussed or pecked.
But what I find even more interesting is that even though she is long
gone, there is still relative peace in my broodband--I think they all
got used to living that way, and when she died, nobody felt any need to
pick on anybody.  I can tell you who some of the more alpha mares are
out there, but I honestly can't tell you who is "the" boss (close to 30
head out there) because it just isn't that clear-cut.  More like some
kind of an "alpha committee" of some sort.

What I find even more interesting with this group of mares is how well
they react as a herd when the need arises.  All up and down this
valley, the elk literally plague us in the winter--and as I drive up
and down the highway, I see elk time and time again in eating with the
horses.  (That's quite an economic drain, given that there's a herd of
about 140 in my neighborhood alone.)  I free feed big bales, and was
really concerned about that when I first moved back here.  But these
girls have established a "perimeter" (it isn't the property line, but
it is a long way from the big bales) and if the sentry elk cross that
imaginary line, all the heads and tails go up and it resembles a
cavalry charge.  Poor elk are scared spitless of these mares!  (They
actually ran one dumb young spike bull into my driveway fence winter
before this past one, and he got hung up--I had to drag his carcass out
of my driveway...)  I think the wolves might have a tough time with
these ladies...

Heidi