[RC] Sharing my happiness... and asking for last-minute feedback and advice. - Sharon Levasseur

This year I’ve got a new-to-me 4h GN steel stock trailer.  I’ve been thinking I’d put another HiTie on it like my last trailer but I KNEW my ever-so-impatient-and-mouthy horse would make a habit of scraping the trailer with his teeth just like he did the last one.  Last trailer was aluminum so it wasn’t a big deal, but this one is steel so it matters more.  The pen will give him a little more room and get his focus off the trailer.

By the way... a regular electric strand fence is NOT a possibility here, nor is a portable metal corral.  I have my reasons and they are firm.

SOoooooo, hubby and I just talked and decided to spring for a Safety Pen from C.I.W.!  <vbg>  It’s strong netting that rolls out from the side of the trailer and has a strand of electric along the top.  Depending on the height of my running boards (which it will sit on) the fence’s total height should be around 5.5’... plenty high enough so my horse won’t be tempted to jump out... and it’s really noticeable so I doubt any horses will run through it from outside.  http://www.ciwtrailers.com/safetypen.htm  At $700 plus $200 shipping it costs 3x what a HiTie costs, but I’m hoping we’ll find it worth the cost.

Before I place the order, does anyone want to weigh in on this?  Is there anything at all that I’m not considering?  This is an expensive decision and I do NOT want to screw it up!!

Thanks,

Sharon Levasseur (I think I’m going to have a heart attack!  The trailer itself only cost $2000!)

and Zephyr (who only cost a few hundred bucks more than this corral!)