[RC] Mares and nutrition - Tracey Lomax

Title: Message
Ginny's post on nutrition affecting pissiness in mares got me thinking (something I do occasionally).

I have endometriosis, fairly severely, and therefore am probably more pissy than most women.  On top of that I have Crohn's disease, which affects my ability to absorb nutrients from my food properly.  I know that when my Crohn's is in full swing, I find my periods far harder to deal with than at any other time.  I had a child three years ago after a series of miscarriages and a number of laparoscopies and a DNC, and I can honestly say that I've never felt healthier at any time than I did whilst pregnant.  My Crohn's was also in remission for most of it.

It makes sense not just from a hormonal point of view but because, if you've got enough nourishment, you just cope better.  Whether the same applies to horses, I don't know, will have to rely on Heidi for this one.  I suspect, however, that you still need to consider ovarian cysts (which are incredibly painful and make menstruation excruciating) and tumurs on the pituitary gland before you just put down PMS to malnutrition.

Regards,
Tracey