[RC] summer sores? - Jonathan Bowman

I may be looking to lease/buy a horse for my kids to learn to ride on.

The owner says it has summer sores.  Has old scars around mouth and one lumpy one just above the coronet band and the pastern.  The later, supposedly, does not cause the horse to be off.  Supposedly has done some endurance rides several years ago… with no issues with the vets or finishing the rides.

From what I got off the internet, the best prevention is to use Ivermectin to kill the worms that cause this.

Questions:

  1. why would this horse have recurring bouts of this  -- if the owners are worming regularly?
  2. could this possibly contaminate my horses if I bring this guy onto the property  -- geeze, does he have these worms embedded in him?

Thanks ahead of time.

Melody

wrecksduke@xxxxxxxxxxx