[RC] Herd Dynamics--Seriously - melanie . O

So, I have a serious question for the "experts" RE: herd dynamics.  Up until 4
weeks ago I had three horses; Mother, daughter, son/brother.  The gelding is
coming 3 and a very sassy individual, has been since birth.  The three of them
have lived together for about a year in a larger herd situation w/ well
establish herd leaders.  Then I moved them to my own place.  The young gelding
tried very hard to rough-house w/ the mares who would have none of it, they
were quick to put him in his place.  So, I believed he was the bottom of the
herd.

One month ago I took in a rescue 1/2 Arab gelding thinking he might someday be
a good endurance mount and for now would be a good playmate for my young
gelding.  Well, the 3yo spends all of his time picking on the new gelding.
He's a downright bully!  However, after the initial week of settling, the
rescue horse is getting along quite well with the mares (NO, not like that!).
Now I'm questioning just where in the herd hierarchy my young gelding lies (he
is somehow higher than I thought?)  I'm also wondering if it's a case of
jealousy.  I know that might be anthopomorphizing, but I've gone out there to
see the two boys eating together peacefully, and the second I walk up, the 3yo
goes into attack mode.   He's also deliberately drove the new guy off when I
was grooming/playing with him and stood there wanting my attention, I mean so
obviously as to put his head under my hand or start "grooming" me himself.

I know the situation is still new and may yet resolve itself.  But I'm feeling
sorry for the new guy and wondering if the youngster will ever have someone to
"play" with.  I'm also questioning my ability to read my horses and one should
never do that!  >;->

melanie