Re: [RC] [RC] re: mixing mares and geldings--question to other RC horse experts - Debbie Kirchner

On 3/5/06, Lynn Kinsky <lkinsky@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
(One of my older geldings was so mellow that I was able to keep him in the paddock with the mares about to foal:  he kept watch when they slept, and then after the foals were a couple weeks old the mares would allow the babies to hang out with "Uncle" (he had enough sense to keep his distance before that) and at weaning time "uncle" just remained as the babysitter when I moved the mares to a separate paddock. I had zilch horse whinnying or calling -- everyone seemed happy with that process.)

My dominant Gelding Jewel has always babysat along with the mule for the babies after they are about 2 weeks old... I depend on him to teach them the things they need to know, like how to back up when I walk in, LOL.. if I give the boss mare look, they move back... and I mean it, when I smile, the can come in... can you tell I have a pushy two year old filly in the barn, LOL

  Debbie in SE MN

Energy for LIFE and Weight Loss too!!!