Re: [RC] Pasture Arrangements with Mares/Geldings - indiancp

i've had horses for fifty years.  many of those years i was managing a boarding stable and always had fifty plus horses there.  mares and geldings pastured and turned out together.  we were far more likely to have war between two mares than geldings or geldings and mares.  i owned a gelding who fell in love with one mare and he would mount her but never bothered the others. this was much to HER delight AND i'm sure it was her idea.  only time in all those years i ever saw a gelding even interested in sex.
at this time we have what may be one who hadn't been gelded for long.  when he first came he mounted all the mares with the exception of our 12.2h pony mare and since then he's been a normal gelding. by the way when he tried the pony she told him where to go and he believed that's where she'd send him if he kept on.  i believe that if a gelding keeps on and on at a mare and she's objecting there is something  wrong with him. i've seen mares try to entice geldings when there wasn't anything better around and the geldings just goes "DUH" never in all my years have i ever heard of a herd of geldings raping mares.  there is the occasional stallion who will kill foals, too, if he gets half a chance but that doesn't make them the norm either.
patty in georgia

Man does not have the only memory,
The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,
If you know how to listen, they will tell you many things.

Claude Kuwanijuma - Hopi Spiritual leader.

.