Re: [RC] How did you get started? - GoldenCMK

Grew up with horses. Had four friends involved with endurance, Di Hopkins, Julie Bell, Cyndi Prescott and Heidi Smith. They all said I should try it. But it was not until Oct 1999 after Heidi was here on a visit that she convinced me to "give it a whirl".

So I convinced my non riding husband to "whirl" with me. Put him on a green broke stallion and in Jan 2000 we did a LD at Frigid Digit. We had an ice storm that night. At the start of the ride it was 28 degrees. (my husband was really hating me at this point). But when we came over a hill and saw a field with trees cover in ice with the sun shining down on it with such beautiful prisms of color it made our day.

By the end of the ride we swore we would never do this again. By the time we got back to the trailer we had already planned to do the next ride at Montell Cliffhanger. Another ride he hated me on.

At Frigid Digit 2001 we did our first 50. Husband swore he would never ride that far again. Now he has several 100s under his belt and has a collection of AERC jackets... I have none.

Both daughters now compete and the younger one, Alex, this is her first year to compete. Did her first 50 in April, first night ride in July.. Already has rode in 2 hundred milers, completed one and gets her first jacket in San Antonio.

Frigid Digit 2005 I did my first ride manager job.

It is an addiction!

Maria