[RC] how did you get started - larry Miller

I got started when I was 3 or so.  Had my first ride on a horse and I was hooked ever since much to my parents disgust.  They finally broke down and bought me a horse when I was 11 after I started reading the horse books in the public library for the second time.  Did I ever have fun.  My little mare, I believe she was part arab, was steady as a rock.  She took me everywhere, past busy highways with semis roaring by her, by trains, across train tracks, and she was fast too.   I had no clue what I was doing, I hung on to survive but she was steady as a rock.  I marveled that my parents made this match for a horse crazy kid.  I did try showing, what a joke, she kicked at every horse that passed her and I learned that showing was not for me!  When I was 30, I did my first 50 endurance, my first distance ride ever.  I took a wrong turn cause I couldn't see the pie plate, but I did do 50 miles.  My next ride was a 100.  See I didn't mess around.  That is where I learned tons.  A very nice man who vetted the Tevis walked me around camp and taught me a few facts about getting a horse in condition and told me about the wonders of the extended trot!!  I managed 50 miles before I pulled but now I had a game plan and the understanding that ol' Chief was not going to do the job with class!  My next horse was a part arab and at the age of 31 with a green broke 5 yr old horse (Was I STUPID or what!) I started the road on my distance career.  I did both competitive and endurance, had a blast, have made many memories and tons of friends, and learned how to condition my horse as well as myself.  I read, shared ideas, talked to more knowledgeable folks, managed to develop those special bonds that we all get with our four legged friends.  Now I am 65 and still going.  I wouldn't trade the experiences that I have had for anything.  Jeanie