[RC] Ruler of Dubai Dies While in Australia - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Karen Gardella billnkaren@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or
ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Just thought I'd let you Ridecampers know that I had just read this morning
that the Emir of Dubai, Sheik Maktoum bin Rashid Al Maktoum,  died Wednesday
during a visit to Australia. He was 62.  The Sheik was also vice president and
prime minister of the United Arab Emirates.
For those of you that may not be familiar with the Maktoum family, they are one
of the world's most prominent owners and breeders of Arabian and Thoroughbred
horses, and have been very instrumental in the FEI portion of endurance.
I am a little confused about which Sheik will be replacing the Emir, but I
believe he will be succeeded by his younger brother, the crown prince, Sheik
Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, "who is the defense minister of the United Arab
Emirates and a high-flying businessman and breeder of race horses".
For more details I have attached a link to the article in the SF
Chronicle.  The article does not mention, though,the Maktoum family's
involvement in Arabian horses in racing and endurance.   Hopefully Steph has
more details regarding how the Maktoum family has been involved in endurance
and FEI.
Here is the link which you can cut & paste into your address bar:
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/n/a/2006/01/04/international/i023000S48.DTL&type=printable

If that link doesn't work, try:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2006/01/04/international/i023000S48.DTL&hw=sheik+dies&sn=001&sc=1000