[RC] HR trot vs canter - smuncy

    There has been much discussion about trotting, big trot, 'forcing the issue' - or horses'  natural, ie. preferred 'gait'. Posting to which diagonal - thanks for explainations, never could figure out which one  I was on, did not make a difference - except, years ago when did some shows;  just tried to change  'posting'  periodically' and Lyric would try to throw me back where he was comfortable. ( and, no;  he was not 'one sided', was  very agile, responsive, equally developed, but his perferred side 'ruled'. - Must have been ok, he did 'several' / many  50's, multi-days, etc.  with me primarily on just the one diagonal.?   My other horse changes so much between trot and canter - that it does not matter, except he is tiresome to ride sometime, but often let him pick which gait suits him. One horse had  a "big 'natural' trot",  and never could teach him to do the 'typical 3 beat ( tea -cup)  canter'; the other horse  has taken  me years to develope his trot, ( just  a good 'working' trot, not "big  'road'  trot'') - he is a horse that prefers to canter. I prefer a horse learn to trot - does not need be a "big, extended trot", but JMHO - would prefer they equally load front legs than travel 'alot' at canter, especially, up or down hill.  Believe they use front and backends!  better that way. Other than their 'preferred way of going', can tell by  heart rates which horse does better at; , I used to ride with a monitor - always - training, and 'rides', and kept records of speed, terrain, HR, recovery times.  The one that preferred to trot, even 'big extended trot' for miles, had lower heart rate at that, than at his canter; unless it  was later in a ride, or on second / third  days.( Once had a 'well known endurance vet'  tell me that it took about 20 miles to really 'warm up' these horses'  muscles for work, ??  - my findings seemed to support that, except times.  I found he was 'lacking in fluid intake' - HR - were then higher) But, then that was a horse that did more of a hand gallop, than canter,  he never seemed learn to canter.  then there were times I could not push him up to anaerobic rates - yes, sometimes - believe to push up and let  them come back down, can help. Different energy conversion pathways. But that's  another discussion.  The  other horse travels at lower heart rate at  the canter, til he developed - learned to -  trot, now  HR about equal. But, generally, he will run lower HR at canter, than trot, til later in ride.  In other words, quess you just need to know your horse(s). and their 'normals'.  Train  and plan accordingly. realizing some will do better cantering most of  ride, others trotting, and  probably better,  - those  that 'can mix it up' / travel efficiently at both trot and canter/ hand gallop to use other muscle groups . Stephanie M