RE: [RC] Chevy Ad - heidi

I agree with you, Carla.  When my husband and I went truck shopping almost 4
years ago, we had a particularly annoying salesman at the Ford dealership.
When we found the truck we wanted to buy (F350 extended cab diesel dually
4x4) and wanted to take it for a test drive, the salesman tried to hand the
keys to my husband, who said, "Give 'em to her...it's gonna be her truck."
The guy looked nervous and asked, "Have you ever driven one of these before?"
 I said, "Have I driven what?  A truck, a 4x4, or a dually?"  He was a
condescending idiot throughout the whole process.  But I took perverse
pleasure in watching him try to park it when we came back...he had a heck of
a time maneuvering it into it's slot.  After he finished (my husband and I
had gone back to our vehicle to discuss the truck and price in private), I
said to him very sweetly, "You should have told me you hadn't driven one of
those before...I would have parked it for you."  <VBEG>

What a good reminder of why I'm so glad I moved back to a rural
backwater of America.  Back here, most of the salesmen have college
degrees, and have wives with college degrees.  Most of them were raised
on local ranches, as were their wives.  Their mamas (and their wives'
mamas) not only drove the trucks, but also drove every other piece of
equipment on the place, as all of them did from the time they could
reach the pedals, because it took everyone working to survive on a
ranch.  So they are used to local women with college degrees who not
only can drive trucks, but also swathers, balers, stackers, cats,
backhoes, and just about anything else with wheels, gears, hydraulics,
or other moving parts.  They fully expect women to come in able to
intelligently discuss torque, compression, gear ratios, tow ratings,
and what kind of gooseneck hitch they want.

Heck, when I bought my most recent acquisition--a geriatric and much
used Ford with an old Hydrabed on it for handling round bales--the guy
even went around and showed me where all the grease zerks were, because
he knew I was gonna be the one that would have to grease the durn thing
out in the field.  (And I've got my 5-gallon drum of hydraulic oil and
my grease gun riding shotgun on the floor of the passenger side...)

But then rural western folks have been long on good manners and respect
for a long time...

Heidi