Re: [RC] ...Canter Leads/from Trot - ekiddco

As the path changes curves, man, there is where that left diagonal/right lead, vice versa that I have learned comes off the track.  Would you explain the diagonal-neutral split-second interlude?  I think maybe we're doing the same thing.  My horse will change his leads as we come to the point where our bodies both change direction, let's say we're setting up for a left-hand lead, I open my left leg to the turn and put my right leg on him, being very careful not to open it too soon cause I don't want him to cut a corner and say hello to the tree with my knee.  I keep the rein tight on the right side at the same time and release it when I want him to go.  At that moment we change leads together.  That's easy.  Let's talk about changing leads when you're going straight.  I watch film on race horses and try to understand the cue a jockey gives his horse after they turn down the home stretch. When they come out of that turn they are in a left lead.  And I see them change leads going straight down the track.  Now there's the tricky part.  I would love to learn that one.
-------Original Message-------

Date: 01/01/06 22:37:26
Subject: Re: [RC] ...Canter Leads/from Trot

The canter lead I ask for is independent of which trot diagonal I am on, especially as the path changes curves.
Rather, I have a diagonal-neutral split second interlude when I ask for canter.
I will either ask from having sat or stood the trot for an extra beat or from 2-point.
What aids/signals are you using for the canter transition?

And yes, I have worked w/ vets at many rides when they tell riders w/ borderline-pull sore-backed horses to switch diagonals.