[RC] Desert Catfish Classic - from the horse's mouth - Catfish Daniels

Well, after receiving a wonderful amount of interest of prospective riders, and us having been prepared for quite a while now, I had to make a difficult decision today and cancel the first annual DCC.

After an attempt to pre-ride all the approved trails after the recent rain storms, we found that most trails designated for the ride were either washed away, or had transformed into unsafe conditions with an overwhelming amount of exposed rocks and dangerous drop-offs, making endurance riding conditions for both horse and rider very unsafe. About 80% of the trails that were permitted for the ride were to be ridden on the beautiful Pipes Canyon Wildlands Conservancy - a private, open space sanctuary designated solely for hiking and riding. At present, most of these trails are non-existent anymore.

With the wonderful help of individuals of the local Horsemen's Association as well as other volunteers, we have tried to substitute these trails with nearby dirt roads private land parcels, and other less damaged trails. Despite our efforts, however, it was impossible to tie these sections into 30 and 50 mile loops - and at the very best, it definitely would not have turned out to be the beautiful ride that it was advertised to be.

Your response was wonderful. I thank all of you volunteers who assisted me in having met almost all of my volunteer needs just shortly after my initial announcement of this ride. And those of you who came out and rode with me the last few days in hopes to come up with some alternative routes. Thanks to all the prospective ride participants who wanted to support my new ride. It was great to see the downloaded entries come in before I ever got the chance to send out the actual entry forms.

I'm encouranged that when Mother Nature decides and allows us to play on this part of her domain, the DCC will indeed be a great, fun, and memorable event. Let's hope to have it on the 2006 schedule.

All checks will be mailed back to you this coming week. I have also learned by lurking on ridecamp, that many of you have been out, or come out to Pioneer Town periodically. Perhaps some of you would be interested in doing some training rides out there periodically. More on that a bit later.

Catfish