Re: [RC] Knee pain- new topic - Marlene Moss

The thing that cured my knee pain was getting a saddle that put my legs truly underneath me.  And I really couldn’t figure that out without having a saddle with an adjustable stirrup bar and playing around with it.  So here’s a somewhat shameless plug for Free’n’Easy (I don’t sell them anymore since I sold my business, but I do still highly recommend them).  Distance became a whole different world for me and my horse when I didn’t have to deal with knee pain anymore.

I had a back injury and my hips are a little messed up – I’ve actually found that I use 2 different positions for my stirrup bars – forward for endurance and back for CTR when I have to walk all day.

In general, I’ve found that if your stirrups are too far forward it is too easy to jam your feet forward and brace.  It was a big deal for me with my very forward horse, especially trying to slow her on downhills.  Now my legs stay in a proper position up and down hills and I’ve actually learned to enjoy downhills (previous source of terror for me!)  But there are multiple reasons for knee pain – stiff fenders, hips angled improperly for your conformation, damage in your knees, etc.

Good luck!

Marlene

Marlene Moss

www.KineticEquineAnalysis.com (saddle fit for the horse in motion)