[RC] smooth leather vs suede or cloth saddles - Mary Ann Spencer

Had an interesting ride in an Abetta saddle last week.  Did not like the angle of the saddle seat with the stirrups, but when the horse spooked, I seemed to have less slippage than in a smooth leather one.  I used to ride in Wintec cloth ones and then got some nice leather ones which were fine except for spooking when it was so much easier to loose my seating and hence hit dirt or whatever.

Anyone have any theories, etc?   My deeper seated dressage and Aussie saddles help but after sticking so well to the cloth of the Abetta, I got to wondering as I have been 'leaving' the saddle more since going leather.  mas