{Spam?} Re: [RC] Knee pain- new topic - Lynne Glazer

I'll have to add a little something to Marlene's great post.

Check out whether your saddle is not level, due to your horse's conformation, its placement on the horse's back and/or the saddle just doesn't fit. If it's tilted backwards, it is a killer to get out of the saddle in the up part of the posting trot, just as bad IMHO as stirrups placed too far forwards.

Try the "chapstick test" - use either lipstick or a full tube of chapstick (for maximum roll) and put it in the seat's flat spot. See if it rolls--it's a good visual to check for levelness, it should stay in the flattest spot. If it rolls backwards, your saddle is tilted backwards. Depends on your saddle what the "fix" is for that, if it can be fixed at all.

JMO, best thing ever for ankle flexibility is riding a unicycle. Next best is what Maryanne described, the ability to crouch for long periods of time. Delicate readers, stop now. My mom brought back a photo from a trip to China of a little kid peeing in such a manner over a hole, must've been 20 years ago. I thought, what a great idea, and started to practice that sort of crouch, as it's handy for a lot of things. Upon starting endurance riding, it became exceptionally useful for elimination trailside while holding a fractious mount. Also for taking showers in the back of the horse trailer, crouched to avoid unscheduled viewings, with a handheld shower nozzle. And best of all, it's turned out to be a rock solid platform for my photography work with a 5 1/2 lb camera/lens setup. It's even nice when there's no seating at a place when you don't want to just plunk down in your jeans. It works best without ankle support-boots, so your ankles can fully flex.

And by doing this I can still ride that unicycle, even if it's many months in between rides; all braking on one is done by dropping an ankle, even at "speed". I think having ankles that flexible help prevent back pain while riding; I still get upper back tension problems (rhomboids, traps) from old neck injuries that still need work though. And Erin, I had knee injuries as a teen from being hit by a car, the consequences of which disappeared in my early 20s with hardly a twinge since.

Lynne (49 like Ed)