[RC] Hoof Crack - chicamuxen

I was just talking with an old friend on Sat. abought a mare she owns's that
had just such a crack. HAD! She bought this mare and continued to board her for
a while at the same stable where she was bought. The stable manager allowed
only her farrier on the place. A very piss poor farrier who had permanently
lamed so many horses due to his bad shoeing. The mare was kept shod and became
lame in a hind foot. She developed a bad abcess and lost a huge chunk of hoof
wall from the heel to the quarters of that hoof. My friend left that farm so
she could change farriers. She recovered and grew her wall back but kept the
same crack for  3-4 years from hairline down to the ground. Several "good"
farriers tried various things to correct the cracking wall to no avail.

Eventually my friend brought the horses home and found a new farrier who
wanted to take the horse barefoot. This is a "barefoot" farrier by the way.
Everyone warned the owner not to do it, old farrier, vets, trainer, etc. She
let the farrier give it a try. With careful correct balancing and trimming of
the foot the new wall grew down crack free. I found this very interesting to
say the least. But it was poor trimming and shoeing that put that foot assunder
so no suprise that good work brought it back. Hmmmmmm.

Bonnie Snodgrass