[RC] re: bits and bitless - mary

I have to throw in my 2 cents worth.  I have a 16 year old TWH who has finally decided to let me be leader last year – I thought. It’s not that he spins and bolts, but he was arguing and very heavy.  Before I got him,  the previous owner used a Tom Thumb on him and had had him with a TWH trainer.  (The kind of TWH trainers that everyone has bad things to say about) I bought him at 12, so he was pretty set in his ways. I wanted him to relax and enjoy being out on trail and switched him to several different kinds of snaffles over the period of a year.  He was extremely strong with them and wanted to really let his preferences known about where we were going to go.  Dr. Cook’s bitless bridle was the same except he stuck his nose up in the air. I did the Parelli halter thing for a year with him which was fine in an arena, but not out on trail.  Then someone on Ridecamp recommended a Kimberwick.  What a difference!!!!  The one I tried was not a snaffle and it worked wonders.  No arguing or discussing things with me.  He held his head great and gaited great.  After a year now, I decided to try the Kimberwich that was a snaffle, thinking he had just turned into a new horse in the last year.  Nope - back to his old ways of being a butt head – argue, argue argue.  After one trip out, we are back to the original Kimberwick. He is light and easy to work with again.  Whoever recommended it in the first place, thank you so much.

-Mary