RE: [RC] bits again - Chris Paus

That' s exactly right, Melissa! My horse Star was quite a nutcase when I got him, and I understand other riders being concerned about riding with us. So many  people told me to get a stronger bit. I tried several, in increasing severity..each one would give me a little more control for a few rides, then he'd find a way to evade it and he'd get anxious and upset.

Finally, after going back to the basics, I learned that he needed a milder bit, not a more severe one! he also needed a refresher course in the basics, and so did I! I was very much the kind of rider who rode with my hands.... everything i asked of the horse, i asked first with the reins. When I learned to ask with my seat and legs first and quit hanging on his mouth, he became more compliant.

Funny how that works!

chris

Melissa Alexander <mcalex@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I think it's still a training issue. Either you need to increase the level
at which his engine goes into "overdrive," or you need to train with the
engine in that gear, so to speak. I expect when he was green that he went
into overdrive with fewer horses.

I can understand wanting to have a strong enough bit to handle
*emergencies*, but if you know a horse's trigger points and just plan to use
the strong bit to handle him continuously when you get there, that's not an
emergency, IMO.

"If I fill this moment with gratitude, the next moment can't help but bring blessings."

Chris and Star

BayRab Acres
http://pages.prodigy.net/paus