RE: [RC] bits again - heidi larson

Have to chime in here on the training issues, as I just went to a Clinton Anderson Clinic, my horse Ash, myself and 17 other horse/rider combos.  Eye-opening to say the least, anyway, one way I learned to train a horse to slow down and not try to be a runaway, is to get them in an arena, and let them run, and run, and run and run, do rollbacks next to the gate, anything, but keep them cantering, let them make the decision that maybe running is not so fun after all.  The horses at the clinic that had this done to them, were all horses that the owners were fearful they'd be runaways, or that they never let them run.  Worked great, in fact the next day, the same horses would act like they couldn't quite decide if they wanted to get that whole rap started again and would be very subdued, a couple tried and back they went to running. The 3rd day no horse chose to run when given the opportunity.  Second training method on this was to get all 18 of us in an arena (not a big one either BTW) and start them all trotting, no steering, right hand on the reins and saddle horn or mane and just start them all cruising. If someone walked, they were encouraged back into a trot (squeeze, cluck and then spank) and if anyone broke into a canter, do a one rein stop and then back to a trot.  The horses really get sick of being made to stop everytime someone breaks into a canter. (And they each had to flex on either side when this happened.) By the end of the 20 min. lesson, the horses were much calmer, maintaining a steady trotting pace and then we did the same lesson at a canter.  (Had to break the class up a bit for that one, as it was a large class and a small arena.)  Anyway, I'd try training the problems out of them first.

Heidi-aerc#M20935 /\_/\~ http://www.synjinarts.com
~~/~~ \\~~~~ (Wildlife/Western & Equine
| \~~~~~~
| \~~~~