[RC] Choosing training trail preferences? - Laurie Durgin

Well, wanted to move , started planning and looking. Now approached by develpers, (the same ones who are taking all the open land I have been riding on. They want our road and are including our property with others as a packeage to get our private road access.) We will be getting more than market value for a residence, but it may take 6mos.- 1 year to get things sorted out. We figured out one of the two of the developers buying around us and 2 neighbors out, needed where our lands met on the road, cause they want to widen it and one of the realtors approached us to throw in with her. Writing is on the wall, the traffic, lost trails and suburbia is making me want to get the heck out.
Anyway we had taken steps to refinace to buy first , then were going to sell as a residence before,and even though we may get more $ -we don't intend to change our plans on $ we were going to spend.Instead we will have investment t money and be out of debt.
I would like about 10 acres in pasture. I have 5 now, and 4 horses and a donkey have a sacrifce area with no grass and two paddocks to nibble on grass-mainly so all the property is not muck. I already have a homebuilder who will build what we can afford and need anywhere in the state.--So land and where is the dilemia.
I have been able to ride out the door on logging road and trails. Now gone.(well they are logging again, and added gravel to the 4 wheeler holes so I may have my 3.5 m. trail back, till the subdivision gets to that point. Maybe thru the summer.I may be able to trot it again.!)
Now the quesiton:
Whether to buy land where there is undeveloped land, and maybe trails or gravel county roads with little traffic and I can find my own way, definetely country-- Or to try to get within 30-45 Minute trailering distance of a "public horse trail"?
For you southerners, Talledeaga, Pigieon Mt., Hard Labor Creek, Watson Bridge, or north or Atlanta, maybe Fort Mtn. or Bull Mountain trails ??? _ or the WMA , Natl. Forest areas?
This may mean I can't afford 10 or more acres or that I may have to clear something and not get pasture, but may have to only have 4-5 again.And mud, and closer neighbors-more suburbian.
Either way I will put in a ring of some sort with some footing so I can ride when it's nasty.
Being close to work is not an issue. Husband travels, I am only occasionally working pt and won't be necessary after move (still homeshcooling one son).
So would you rather have public trails that you have to trailer too,which might mean you'd only use them once or twice a week -- or be able to ride from home on unoffical trails, and roads , where you could ride anytime? This is in the SE. And why?