[RC] National Champion & Points Part 2 - Dean A. Conti

Part 2

This way horses that compete at a higher speed and thus place better

get some extra credit.

One problem with this is with Horse 4 and Horse 5 placing. Since taking

care of the horse is the first and foremost rule, Horse 4 had more

“pull” miles then Horse 5 and thus should be penalized. To do this I

changed the Quality Ratio to be calculated based on the “Attempted

Miles” instead of the “Completed Miles”.

So the new MQRs calculated using “Attempted Miles” would be:

          MQR

Horse 1 = 1.11

Horse 2 = 1.40

Horse 3 = 1.28

Horse 4 = 1.34

Horse 5 = 1.41

Horse 6 = 1.46

This would produce these final point results:

Place

1      Horse 2     1895 * 1.40 = 2653

2      Horse 1     2040 * 1.11 = 2264

3      Horse 6     1520 * 1.46 = 2219

4      Horse 5     1549 * 1.41 = 2184

5      Horse 4     1550 * 1.34 = 2077

6      Horse 3     1605 * 1.28 = 2054

The excel formula would be:

      Final Points = Points * (1+(Log(Points / Attempted Miles)))

I come from the world of handicap sailboat racing here in Puget Sound

so using formulas to derive final race placements is second nature.

This would be easy to do since the only new data required for the

calculations would be collecting the “Attempted Miles” instead of the

“Completed Miles”. Since only the top riders vying for the national

awards would be run through this system, it wouldn’t be that big of a

job.

As it should be, our mantra is “To Finish is to Win”. We also admit,

however, that speed is an integral part of what we do. A point

calculation formula such as this would give maximum credit to a team

that moves quickly while collecting the maximum number of completions.

That means going quickly and carefully down the trail, taking care of

the horse and having fun!

Dean