RE: [RC] Heidi's vet notes - Jim Holland

Heidi, you had the opportunity to back off on this....but I promised you
would NOT have the last word.....so let's get it on. Fortunately, we have
free speech in this country. UNFORTUNATELY, it also allows individuals to
spread mis-information and unsubstantiated bullshit.

First, I refer you to the following post that all should find interesting:

http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/archives/past/03/10/msg00089.html

You can follow the "thread" if you want the rest. I declined to post the Vet
Committee Reports at that time because I thought it served no useful purpose
regarding the issue at hand.  However, perhaps at this time, it IS
appropriate.  So you say the problem was that we didn't "archive" the
information? This is the text of a Vet Committee report that WOULD have been
"archived". Vet names and ride names are omitted because that serves no
useful purpose.  This was dated August 20, 2002...my birthday.

"Dear Executive Director,

  The veterinary Committee has reviewed the information concerning this
fatality.  No specific management or veterinary circumstances have been
identified that may have prevented this fatality.

       Conditions at the ride did not seem extreme although humidity was
reported to be medium to high and there was a moderate to severe climb in
the trail.  The rider was not the owner of the horse.  The rider recognized
the horse was not drinking well on the last loop and walked the horse in the
last ~ 8 miles and completed the ride.  It was after that when the horse
developed signs of colic and treatment was started.

       In retrospect, this case points to the need for riders to be
familiar with the mounts, their level of fitness and their drinking habits.
It also points out that endurance riding has risks for the horses and that
riders need to be aware of those risks.  Continued rider education is
indicated.

Respectfully,"

Note there are NO details....everything else never left the Vet Committee
Meeting. I have it on pretty good authority that the Vet Committee let the
BoD "look" at the information, but no details were EVER kept.

Hmmmm.."education"...what a concept...but no data saved to learn from!

I also refer you to the Board Minutes, John Parke's motion here:

http://www.aerc.org/Documents/BoardMinutes/Minutes20030313.htm

Note the section on providing information to the membership.

NOBODY said that Kerry Ridgeway or any other vet on the Vet Committee over
the years, including you, did "nothing".  However, they shared "nothing" on
horse deaths with the membership, did NO studies on the collected data, only
collected information from the head vet, and published NO detailed
information OUTSIDE the Vet Committee that would be available even if it HAD
been archived. AERC did not publish ANY information on horse deaths and
denied access to that information to the membership until 2003. I have the
documentation to prove it. In fact, AERC did not even send Vet Committee
findings on horse deaths to Veterinarians not on the Veterinary Committee.

Heidi, this is kinda fun.  I hope you will continue to post on this subject.
I still waiting for ANY documentation to substantiate any of this crap you
are posting.

Jim, Sun of Dimanche+, Mahada Magic

Subject: Re: [RC] Heidi's vet notes

It would certainly be interesting to compare the Vet notes you filled
out and sent into the AERC with the records Jim Holland got.   I'm sure
you still have copies of all of that in your records?   It might help
clear  up the discrepancy.

Kathy, I do not have all those records--they were copious and seemed
rather unnecessary in my last two moves.  I do know that when the
veterinary committee first formed (and I was its first chair), one of the
things that was a priority was to start getting a consistent reporting
form about treatments, pulls and deaths.
--------
I do know that these got looked at by members of the veterinary committee at
some point, as some were shared as
learning cases at the CE meetings that started to be given at AERC
convention--which was another wonderful thing that came out of the
veterinary committee later.

It IS a sorry thing that this stuff was not archived--but apparently
nobody thought to make it a priority to ask the office staff to do so, and
I have to admit that the thought never occurred to me that it would NOT be
archived.

(I'll bet that Kerry Ridgway and many subsequent veterinary committee
chairs and members would also be surprised to learn from those
malcontented individuals that they did "nothing" on their watches...)

Heidi