[RC] National endurance champion - Bruce Weary

I have been preparing to leave for the 20 Mule Team ride in the rain, and I thought I would come inside,
snuggle up to a nice warm computer, and offer some admittedly half-baked suggestions regarding a national endurance
championship ride of some sort. I was wondering if an ultimate champion could somehow be determined by way
 of a multi-day endurance championship. I'm not sure what sort of qualification standards would be appropriate, but I think that
the multi-day format might possibly have something to offer to almost every type of rider in the sport. The flat-land racer, the mountain climber,
the rock hound, the tortoise, the heat tolerant, etc.,. The ride venue could be chosen specifically to offer different terrain and footing each day.
 Anybody see the movie "Bite the Bullet?" They went through everything. I have often felt
that many horses, especially those that "race" don't look too shiny the next day back home in their own stall. It takes hours or a day or two
for a horse to show all the effects of being overridden. And he may very well be the horse that won and took BC the prior day! Who's going to
come forward and say "Thanks for the trophy and the feed store gift certificate, but, frankly, my horse arrived home slightly lame and was off his feed for two days."
   A multi-day format just naturally creates a more steady pace among the horses and riders. The new motto could be "If you want to win, you have to
know how to finish. Again and again." Of course the average speed would come nowhere near the blistering 21kph speeds of  the WEC, but hey,
this isn't NASCAR. It's not a spectator sport. We all know speed kills. The multiday challenge would help dampen the need for speed, while still
maintaining a "racing" atmosphere.  I know sometimes I will tell myself it's okay to push my horse a little harder on a one day ride, because I know he can
go home and  "put it all back together" with a nice long rest which starts at that day's finish line. My  approach is much different when I know I have to
save enough for another day or two of riding, and still go home with a healthy sound horse. I know there would still be those riders who
are tempted to ask for a little too much speed, but, if I were a  ride vet, I think I would rather,all things being equal,  take care of horses that have been traveling
 at  8-10 miles per hour than at a constant canter.
    The judging for best condition  could be done the morning after the final day of racing, as a way of determining which horses endured the athletic endeavor
better versus those who succumb to various post-exercise  aches and pains. The BC judging at Tevis is one of the most popular events of that ride. Crowds
 of people in the stands whooping and hollering as they watch horses and an occasional mule trot in circles. I was at Tevis this year, and I remember thinking to
myself, as I listened to all of the hootin' and screamin' and whistlin'......." Yeah, I remember my first beer, too."
  Any horse that could beat all comers and still look good to a crew of vets afterward, would have my vote to be recognized as a champion, especially in regard
to the things many of us hold dear in this sport-- endurance, longevity, soundness, trail negotiation, sane speed, good recoveries and a healthy trailer ride home.
    What do y'all think? Bruce Weary