From: Chris Paus <paus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Laurie Durgin <ladurgin@xxxxxxx>, gingerodgers@xxxxxxxxxxxx, katswig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
CC: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC] [RC] Define "Collection"
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 12:44:53 -0800 (PST)

Laurie... it's not about tight reins. It's about giving hands. If the reins are tight and the hands not giving, then you won't get true collection, you'll just get a cranked down head with no engagement from behind.

It's about asking the horse to work from behind and pushing the horse into the bit, not pulling the horse into a certain shape.

If your horse is working on contact correctly, the mouth will be very wet and soft and the bit full of horse slobber. SRS trained riders use sugar cubes to check how much their horse's mouths are wet, which means the horse is accepting the bit and working with it, not clenching down on it.

chris

Laurie Durgin <ladurgin@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Course, there are other ways to teach collection. John Lyons teaches it to a
horse without all the tight reins and bit contact.....

"If I fill this moment with gratitude, the next moment can't help but bring blessings."

Chris and Star

BayRab Acres
http://pages.prodigy.net/paus