RE: [RC] Psyllium forms - Susan E. Garlinghouse, D.V.M.

It doesn’t really matter IMO, as it’s all mush by the time it hits the stomach.  OTOH, I also don’t think it’s particularly effective in one-cup increments, you probably get more bang for your buck doubling or tripling the amount.

Having said that, by far the most effective treatment for sand is a good preventative program---feeding off the ground, feeding sand-free hay and plenty of steady exercise.

Susan Garlinghouse, DVM, MS

From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Ag47xAu49@xxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, February 21, 2005 12:34 AM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] Psyllium forms

Does it matter much in which form a horse gets psyllium for the removal of sand? I know I could word this better but it is 1:30 am and I can't sleep, nor compose a proper sentence.  My boys get the orange Equate Powder once a month, one cup per day in soaked BP per horse, per day for a week. Is Sand Clear more effective as it is in larger crumbles? or does it matter?  Beccy in Ut.