Re: [RC] Chicken Little Hysteria - heidi

Although there were those that disagreed, AERC did the
right thing, addressed the issue with the Horse Welfare Committee, made
the Vet Committee reports public, and involved the membership. What
could have caused irreparable harm to our discipline if that "cameraman
with an "agenda," and outlet for that agenda" had appeared became a
positive issue. We now LEARN from the deaths, have become more aware of
the dangers, and as a result, AERC, the horses, and the membership all
gained. At our
Convention, AERC now discusses horse deaths in detail with the
membership and readily acknowledges that mistakes are sometimes made.by
all involved.

While I applaud the work of the HWC, I again must say that those of us who
worked our fannies off for years to do just exactly the same thing resent
having this sort of inflamatory misrepresentation perpetuated.  It is
wonderful to have a more centralized manner of handling things, but the
deaths in prior years were NOT swept under the rug, facts were NOT
withheld, and we learned a great deal from them.  Better dissemination of
information is great--but your black-and-white portrayal of "then" and
"now" is just flat wrong.

IMHO, we are again at a crossroads.  Will AERC again do the "right
thing" and say this is NOT " Endurance, is NOT in the best interest of
AERC, and is NOT in the best interest of the horse, and back away from
the "racing" mentality?  I'm sure this issue is also being discussed in
the "back rooms". I hope they make the right call.

Funny, I was disappointed that Ft. Howes was both the NC and an FEI ride
because of the unfairness to those who would like to get an FEI
qualification but who either choose not to support the NC or whose horses
are not qualified to do the 100 at the NC.  At least we can agree that the
AERC NC should not be an FEI ride.

Based on Truman's analysis, 92% of us are not interested in
International. IMHO, AERC's involvement...call it "blessing" if you
like.is far more skewed toward the 8% who DO participate in
International.  I can't believe the BoD allowed the National
Championship Ride to be FEI sanctioned.   Another perfect example of the
International "bent" of the BoD.  Worried about attendance at the NCR in
the future? It's too far away for me to attend this year, but if it were
next door I wouldn't go.  There are many who feel that way.  Let's back
off FEI and enhance our NCR.

Again, AERC per se is NOT involved in FEI--and those who wish to be
involved have to pay an additional bit of dues in order to do so.  AERC
has done a good job of keeping AERC as AERC, although I do think Ft. Howes
crosses the line this year.  Any rider is free to attend any other
dual-sanctioned ride, but not this one.  The real discrimination is toward
those in FEI in this case, IMO, and it seems like a waste to go through
the hassles of FEI sanctioning if not all the interested riders will be
able to participate because it is the NC.

Heidi