Re: [RC] Question for Dr Garlinghouse.....or anyone who can help enlighten ... - Jillcohndc

OK, and what about our pregnant mare friends?  I am seeking a definitive guide for how to feed my coming-into-her-9th-month maiden 5 y/o mare.  I've read that starting with the 9th month, the foal puts on a pound a  day and you have to feed the mare more.  I'm afraid of overloading her.  She looks really great at present (showing alittle at the flank, otherwise looks like she always does) on unlimited grass hay, a flake of wheat hay, and a 1/2 coffee can of BP and same of alfalfa pellets (fed sloshy) daily w/ about a 1/4 can of rice bran.  She's supplemented w/ Mare Plus, 1 1/2 Tbs. salt, Ration Plus, 2-3 Tsp. Klamath Lake Algae, feed-through wormer and about 2 lbs carrots daily.  I'd say she's around 14'2--3" and looks to be about the same bone density as most purebreds, although she's a 15/16 Arabpinto.  I would appreciate hearing from you, out there :-)  Thank you,
Jill in Berkeley, CA