From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Chris Paus
Sent: Saturday, February 19, 2005 4:54 PM
To: koppj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC] New game....

That's  pretty much the way I'm approaching it here in Kansas. Even if I could get my trailer out of the mud to go somewhere, the trails are so bad they are almost impassible... so we do 4 to 6 mile workouts on our gravel roads. Right now the roads are pretty wet, so they aren't too hard on the horses' bare feet. No point in putting shoes on them in this mud, sigh..... this just sucks!

chris

koppj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Okay, I'll play the new topics game. As everywhere, here in Kentucky it has been cold and wet, pretty much since November. I've not been able to really do any serious training for a few months. Eddie ( my horse) has a good solid base from last year, we are able to get out a few times a week - sometimes trails if they are not soaking wet, more likely sides of local roads for 4 - 5 miles at a time. I'm hoping to start some consistant training by March first and aiming for our ride season to start with Chicken Chase in Indiana mid April. We go slow ,but I remember reading about multi-day rides and how horses seem to get stronger by the end. I do want to do back to back fifties this year to just have more fun and certainly will use the first few months of rides to further our conditioning - but here's my question. In the six weeks prior to our first ride in April would it give more " bang for the buck" to just ride every day? Not crazy balls to the walls, but a gradual daily increase in work....if horses get stronger as multi-
day rides go on, I am thinking that daily work will help both of us get ready for the ride season and eliminate the " hard days with the need for rest to recuperate" and instead maximize our short pre-season time to get fit. I would appreciate any thoughts - pro and con. Thanks.

Roxanne
Kentucky