Re: [RC] New game.... - Chris Paus

LOL, last weekend, my grandson and I went ouit for a ride in the rain... I figured if we don't ride in the rain, we won't ride at all... and he wants to start distance riding, so I figured he needs to learn to ride in the rain too.. he was quite a trooper and never whined once!  (except about his new saddle which is a bit hard on his tush, I guess..._

chris

heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> That's pretty much the way I'm approaching it here in Kansas. Even if I
> could get my trailer out of the mud to go somewhere, the trails are so
> bad they are almost impassible... so we do 4 to 6 mile workouts on our
> gravel roads. Right now the roads are pretty wet, so they aren't too
> hard on the horses' bare feet. No point in putting shoes on them in this
> mud, sigh..... this just sucks!

I guess I should quit beefing about our frozen ground with just enough goo
on top on the south slopes to be slick, and just enough ice on the north
slopes to be slick... So yes, we are utilizing the county roads a lot
more than our imagination prefers here as well....

We did manage a 20-mile ride last Sunday, in pretty good time despite the
footing (or maybe I already said that), so even though Zeffer's feet went
out from under him in the snow and mud on one stretch, it was at a walk
and we did it in slomo, so no harm, no foul...

(Maybe this is why they call us "endurance" riders, and everyone else in
the county thinks we're nuts?? The only other folks horseback in this
neck of the woods this time of year are the cowboys who still prefer to
ride the calving pens--and their horses are all sharp-shod and going at a
walk...)

Heidi