Re: [RC] Enduring posts-nothing wrong with introspection! - gingerodgers

When Lynne mentioned the two professions she loved that paid the most bills it
inspired me to give my input on this subject.  I have a job that I love and
because of that the money follows.  For those of you who think that making
money has nothing to do with ridecamp, you are dead wrong.  Endurance riding is
an expensive sport.  Endurance riders need to make some decent amount of money
to afford time off, trailers, trucks, horses, gear, ride fees, the appropriate
feed and, not to mention, keeping up with every day life.  For those of you
that wish you had more money but think that you never will, I have a quote for
you:  "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again
and expecting different results!".  For those of you that are making tons of
money but are not happy, my advice to you is that you are only thinking about
the money and not what you enjoy doing in life.  Choose a profession that you
love, work at it, and you will be happy.  For those of you that are making tons
of money and are happy, good for you.  You have made the right decisions in
life.  I'm not a money monger.  I work hard at a career that I love and it
allows my family to do what they want when they want and that makes me happy.

It takes money to participate in this sport.  That is the simple fact.  I'd say
that covers it.

Ginger

---- Lynne Glazer <anyone@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
You know, I've spent a bunch of years reading ridecamp, nearly from the
beginning, and I don't remember reading anything about how much
importance riders place on money.  To me, despite the little bit of
acrimony, it got me to pause and think about it.  The only stuff I've
seen about money here was about LQ trailers, the effect of the Emirates
on endurance, but nothing about quality of life-stuff.

[Stev, you can stop reading here]
Even More Storms.  Musing a bit, like others, I've strode (stridden?
<g>) the corporate treadmill, then explored various levels of
self-employment for 15 years, some that paid the (nearly) big bucks,
and some that allowed me the freedom to take 3 day weekends EVERY
weekend for 5 years--that decision to make less money and take more
time off.  Then a few years of 7 days a week adding two professions I
loved to the one that paid most of the bills.  And a year ago the
biggest change of them all, from conventional living to that out on
unimproved land, hauling water and running off of a generator for a
while, just to be able to live with my horses instead of boarding.
 From three bathrooms, three floors to one, and daily responsibility for
my three horses--no more staying late in town to avoid the
traffic...instead limiting trips in to two days a week and taking the
obvious income cut as a result, and building my photography business,
working from my heart instead of my head.

Am I riding more?  Well, it was a heck of a transition.  My faithful
Rubberband has waited for me, and at coming-8 has turned into the kind
of horse that can be pulled out of his corral on a moment's notice, and
perform beautifully.  Why I thought it wouldn't rain the day before
yesterday, when it was predicted for the evening and the skies were
gray--I even neglected to take wet weather gear.  When the skies opened
up 5 miles from home, he handled the adversity well--not being ridden
in the rain-part, tres ordinaire, but being ridden by someone with
incipient hypothermia from under-dressing!  ;-)  This year has allowed
their feet to strengthen since first changing farriers 18 months ago,
then a year of barefoot, Thursday's ride with three shod horses in the
slippery stuff and some asphalt really reinforced my thought to give
the EB Epics a shot first instead of shoes as his workload increases on
our abrasive ground.  I am so lucky to have two adults with practically
self-maintaining feet that don't flare or crack.  The baby seems to
have equally good ones. Rah.

Conditioning is now a priority again if it would just quit raining, as
I stare out at the inch per hour rate it's doing now...I wouldn't trade
the last year for anything--I learned a lot about myself, I learned how
to conserve resources, enjoyed living closer to nature (as long as I
had an Internet connection!)

What would I do with that mythical million?  I'd be on my own land, and
not a buddy's--and in more of the boonies than I already am, maybe out
of SoakedCal.  Or I'd have a 4x4 instead of a 4x2 for that dirt road
that turns to chocolate mousse with the water table constantly up so
high--I'd have a bigger roof over my horses, or a three-sided run in
shed in a pasture.  Oh, and the few more bits of camera gear and
computer.  Share a bunch of it with others, which was fun in the past
good times.  Self-insure my horses and gear so I wouldn't waste so much
money.  The LQ trailer?  Maybe fix up my 4h's dressing room with a bit
of insulation and built-ins.  In either case, with or without money,
I'll be happy with continuing health, great critters, good friends and
inspiring work.

By the way, our trails have held up remarkably well despite 50+ inches
of rain, from what I'm hearing about the rest of SoCal I should be very
darn happy.  Come on up and ride!

Lynne
dang, just out of propane; thank goodness for small electric heaters!
Ain't getting outta here today...