Re: [RC] Broken bone pain - Chris Paus

geez louiz girl, I'll quit complaining about my knee!

chris

Mollie Krumlaw-Smith <mkrumlaw@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
This is what you shouldn't do to your body.....

Almost 20 years ago I shattered the left half of my body in a car accident. (literally, 15 major breaks and they stopped counting at 400 hair line fractures) I spent three months in the hospital flat on my back with pins everywhere trying to hold what little solid bone was left together.  As "unluck" would have 3 years later I crashed a horse and shattered my right shoulder, collar bone, and elbow requiring yet another visit from the pin/screw fairy.  Then, about 5 years after that I fell off of my horse and landed on the log and broke my left pelvis again.

What hurts now? For some reason the only "bone" (vs. a joint)  fracture that hurts is my left collar bone and that's only when a strong and fast pressure change is moving through.  The ligaments that were torn in my ankle will get stiff and ache sometimes under the same conditions.  My left hip joint however can be horrible when the pressure changes.  By horrible I mean sharp constant pain, can't walk on it, and it keeps me up at night.  This isn't often and for some reason it doesn't bother me to ride.

All things considered it's not too bad.  Advil is my friend though I don't have to take it everyday. I do take Cosamin DS regularly (people version of Cosequin).

Though in retrospect, I think I pushed riding sooner than I should have and would have healed a little better if I had spent more down time.  The question I ask before I jump on and start riding with a broken bone is "what can get worse" if the bone moves around again and is the bone secure enough to knit together while I'm active. (It took me 20 years to learn to ask that question though....)

Good luck,

Mollie Krumlaw-Smith
^..^~~~~

--
dangerous content by IntelliBlock MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.

"If I fill this moment with gratitude, the next moment can't help but bring blessings."

Chris and Star

BayRab Acres
http://pages.prodigy.net/paus