RE: [RC] Won a million bucks - Melissa Alexander

I thought what that study said -- and I could be mistaken, or it could be a
different study -- was that upon winning the lottery people immediately
reported a huge boost in life satisfaction, but within a year, people had
returned to the level of life satisfaction they had prior to winning the
lottery. Unhappy people were unhappy again. Happy people were still happy.

The lesson, as I understand it, is that winning the lottery doesn't buy
HAPPINESS. That's internal.

Winning a great deal of money does come with its share of problems, just
like having a lack of money does. Money doesn't equal problem-free. People
who expect problem-free are setting themselves up to fail. I wouldn't,
however, blame that on the lottery or the money.

There's no reason in the world, however, why someone who is both internally
happy and smart enough to anticipate and prepare strategies for handling
(hopefully proactively) the potential problems, couldn't remain very happy
after winning the lottery.

I understand what Scott meant, and I agree with him. Nice things are nice to
have! I've been a starving college student, and I've been a well-paid
professional. Since both took up my time, I prefer the latter. Now I have it
even better. I have a job that I LOVE that enables me to work out of my home
on my own schedule. I can spend my time where I want to, and though I'm not
making as much money as I used to, I'm making enough to live pretty well.
Would I turn down the lottery? Heck, no! I'm pretty darn happy internally --
optimistic and positive and convinced I have a blessed life -- so I don't
believe winning the lottery would harm me a whit.

Melissa