[RC] Won a million bucks - k s swigart

Tracey said:

BTW...on the "if I won a million dollars note"...

Sorry Scott...think what you may but I have learned
the hard way that Money DOES NOT buy happieness
...and it no longer motivates me.

And she could have learned the even harder way by actually winning a
million dollars. :)

Not too long ago, the State of California did a study on California
Lottery winners to deterimine how their lives had changed since winning.
Almost invariably (I don't know the exact percentage)they said that they
liked their lives better before they had won the lottery.

The state doesn't actually make a point of publishing these results
because it is hardly going to encourage people to continue playing;
however, it is worthwhile to note that the State no longer uses
individual winners in their advertising along with the tag line "this
could be you." despite the fact that one of the conditions of winning
(at least it used to be) is that you must agree to allow your name and
likeness to be used to advertise your good fortune.

So while there are plenty of people who have made their lives miserable
in pursuit of riches through stress, 100 hour work weeks, etc. and there
are also plenty of people who have decided that they would rather step
off the riches ladder and just take the time to enjoy what they have,
there are also a few people who have gotten their riches without having
to sacrifice all their time (i.e. they won a million bucks), and found
that even getting it for nothing didn't lead to improvements.

On the other hand, there are also plenty of people who thoroughly enjoy
the "rat race" and subject themselves to a lifestyle that few other
people would enjoy in pursuit of riches.

In management speak (people actually do talk about these things), it is
a question of whether an individual is a maximizer or a sufficer.  Are
you of the opinion that better is the enemy of good enough of that good
enough is the enemy of better?

When I asked this question of a physicist, he told me that it was an
absurd question because there is no such thing as better than good
enough (i.e. if there is something better than good enough, then good
enough wasn't good enough :))

The fact is everybody, even endurance riders, have different opinions
about what is "good enough."  But certainly, like my physicist friend
stated, pursuing anything beyond that is foolish (and
counter-productive).

Me? I appear to be like many other people on this list, "good enough" is
defined as enough money and enough free time to play with my horses.  If
pursuing more money cuts into the free time to play, then that pursuit
isn't worth it.  Occasionally, I have silly ideas that I could save the
world, but then I realize that that would cut into the time with my
horses and abandon them :).

kat
Orange County, Calif.