[RC] collarbone - Mary Carroll

Hi Cindy,

I didn't break my collarbone but had an evulsion=that is when the soft tissue erupts out of the collarbone.  This happened when I was jumping-the mare I was riding had an undiagnosed neurological problem.  She collapsed *in the air* as we were going over a jump, and as I tucked and rolled, she did too.  She landed on me.

I went to Ireland the next week to ride.  I needed help mounting, but was ok when I was aboard.  I rode one handed.

In retrospect, I probably should have taken it easy.  But, I am fine now.  So, maybe we all worry way too much.  Does your cllarbone hurt a whole lot?  Can you ride without hurting it?  That is the main point.

Are you ok?

mary c
"My gelding hit a sink hole this afternoon at an easy trot.  So far he seems fine (no heat or swelling in the leg -- sound at the walk but don't know yet about at a trot), but I have a broken collarbone.  Clean break with no displacement.

I already know that I will not wait to ride until I get the repeat x-rays at 6 to 8 weeks (as the docs insisted that I should), but I figure that I should probably wait until I no longer need painkillers.

For those of you who've had this injury, how long did you wait to ride after such an injury, and what would you recommend?"

Cindy