[RC] [RC] Endurance - longevity bloodlines... - DreamWeaver

 Is it
possible that *people who don't ride for speed* are what increases the
longevity, and they're more likely to be the types to compete a non Arab?
 I don't know about the mustang rider in particular, but isn't Les pretty
much a "completion only" kind of guy?

Well, I sort of feel that most people who ride Arabians don't have the patience that riders like Les has, or Don Funk, John Parke and anybody else that rides a different breed long miles. It does take a certain type of person or character (I mean that in a good way, maybe it should be "with" character?) to be able to stay out there on the trail mile after mile, hour after hour, week after week, year after year. I think that it takes more tenacity and discipline to ride slow miles (especially on a fit horse that doesn't agree with your speed). Breeds other than Arabs are probably more accommodating in that regard. I know that Tulip is certainly more than capable of going at a much faster rate of speed than Les dictates -- or as Les says, at a slow and measured pace if you want the horse to last. At Mojave, Chief and Tulip got to galloping together and I finally had to whoa-up (is that a word?) on my guy, cuz I wasn't sure Les would've been able to get Tulip slowed back down otherwise! For a horse with well over 14,000 miles he can really move out! I have spent a lot of trail time in the company of some of the above riders in the last year or so, and it was certainly a fantastic experience, I wouldn't trade a minute of it!

Karen