Re: [RC] Flax seed - gary affleck

Why do you feel that is an alarming statement?  Horses do not grind all their food up, just as Humans don't.  They are tiny little seeds and some get missed by the teeth, as per people noticing them sprout in their pastures that are too lazy to grind.  So if you grind it, you only have  to feed half as much or they get twice the benefit of non ground.  Susan Garlinghouse as far as I'm concerned is a god/goddess when it comes to nutrition, I could be wrong on that, but I'd doubt it.  If you listen or read and actually do what she says, you can't go wrong.  G.Affleck
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, February 17, 2005 10:23 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] Flax seed

Just some more info to confuse all of us...

There was a letter written in the January Practical horseman talking about cyanide etc., but the reply was a quote from Sarah Ralston, VMD, PhD, DACVN....

.....There is no risk, If there were, we'd have had hundreds of dead horses annually for more than a hundred years.
     Flaxseed that is fed whole and unsoaked is not digested by the horse.  At best it goes through him.  At worst, it might accumulate in the gate and, if fed in large enough quantities, cause an impaction.

To me, this is an alarming statement to make.  I've been feeding it for years now, without grinding it, but only 1 to 2 cups daily.  I have noticed a distinct improvement in my horses skin regarding her fly allergies when I use 2 cups a day in the fly season.  This, of course is ancedotal evidence, and I'd be interested in finding more information.  Any one know of a place where there's a list of studies with the results (that I don't have to be a vet to access)?

Judy in San Diego