Re: [RC] Equithane for barefoot shoeing - Truman Prevatt

The clear equitane will disapear. I started to use the equithane hoof build (black). If you put it in when you shoe them, a sheet of plastic gutter mesh under the shoe will keep it in until you pull the shoe. If you put it in afterwards (without gutter mesh but otherwise following the directions on their website), it will stay in for quite a while, but you can pull it out after a a while if you want. It is a little more rigid than the clear equithane but I find it works a lot better.

I use it instead of pads. Last year we took off to Indiana and did the Hoosier Daddy and then on to WY and did the Shamrock, came back through Indiana on the way home and did some trail riding. The equithane was still in when we got home - although the hind shoes which were cased hardened were wore thin enough to shave with.

I only use it on the fronts. I've don't normall pad the backs.

However, with any of the equithane products I think it stays in much better if you have an edge of a shoe to seat it under.

Truman