Re: [RC] Questions on 'new' horse - DVeritas

In a message dated 2/11/2005 12:59:13 P.M. Mountain Standard Time, neyska@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
My question is, have other horses performed well with this kind of a
conformation issue?  I don't expect that he will ever do much more than 50
since my husband is not as 'in to' riding as I am, but I would like to have
him be able to some 50s with my arab and I.
Hi Nikki,
    The number of horses who have "performed well" with conformational deviations of one kind or another are quite numerous.
    Recognizing what cost the "deviation" might engender and "managing" it from the beginning is key.
    What you are describing is a biomechanical manifestation of a conformational deviation.
    So, realize that the greater number of miles one does with a horse who evinces a biomechanical abnormality due to said conformation, the more that horse will begin to show the wear and tear associated with doing this sport.  The typical result of a gait deviation is slight ringbone, or ossification in other areas of the hoof.  If the horse does a couple of thousand of "competitive" miles, the ringbone will be more pronounced.
    Proper trimming or shoeing is integral in keeping this horse sound and on the trail.  (But, of course, that's true of all horses.)
    NOTE:   In my opinion, there is no reason why a horse with a biomechanical deviation of this sort, cannot do fifty's and remain sound.  It would only (typically) become an issue if you were to do a significant number of miles of competitive endurance riding.  "Significant" mileage (IMO) would be more than a couple of fifty's a month.
    You asked, that's my opinion.
     I wish you, your husband and your horses the very best.
     Have fun and don't sweat what "might" happen...recognize your strengths, minimizing the weaknesses, and it'll be okay.
     ~Frank