[RC] Equiflex shoes - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Christoph Schork csluftmeister@xxxxxxx or
ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

There have been lots of inquiries and questions about the Equiflex shoes. I
have shod well over 200 horses with equiflex over the last couple of years and
want to share my observations.
Problem # 1: Flaring of the hoof wall.
That can be an issue.
I noticed the flaring only with horses that have a shallow hoof angles and/or
are flater footed. Steeper hoof angles normally don't flare.
The flaring is caused by the fact that the plastic shoes are very shiny and
slick  at the hoof side. With each load bearing the hoof naturally expands, and
on a slick surface, it expands a little more than with a steel shoe. That
resulting sliding action often causes the hoofwall to expand ofer the edge of
the shoe. It can get reduced by roughing the hoof-shoe plane  a little with
sandpaper.
It is also necessary to fit the shoes fuller than steel or alu shoes, so that
during that expanding phase, there is always enough shoe to support the
hoofwall.
Problem # 2: Loose nails.
Nails seem to only loosen with me if I didn't seat them all the way. Flush with
the shoe is not enough. They need to get recessed. Equiflex has a special tool
for that, but it can also be done efficiently with a blunt metal spike.
Inexpensive at any hardware store. Ever since I seated these nails properly,
the loose nails were a thing of the past.
The Equiflex shoes are a lot lighter than steel and reduce concussion by 60%,
as tested by a university in Holland. I know that there is debate about it
whether concussion reduction is important, however, runners do prefer foam and
air cushioned shoes over wooden clogs because knees and ankles don't hurt as
much. For the same reason, horses and people prefer softer trails over concrete
and pavement.
Sincerely
Christoph