Sent: 2/9/2005 5:19:24 AM
Subject: [RC] training question

hi cathyrn,  jonni's advice is good on this.   you need to teach these young horses to walk,trot, turn left and right, and stop when you tell them to, on the ground before you do it from the saddle.   when you say round pen work, i dont know if you mean free lunging or not.   i much prefer to work a young horse in a halter and leadline.   teach them the basics on the ground.  since you say that you are inexperienced, i would recommend that you tune in to rfdtv and watch some of those clinton anderson shows about starting young horses.  or better yet, get his dvd series.  then main reason i would recommend him, is that his methods are very simple, easy to understand, easy to learn, and they work very well.       cowboy ed