Re: [RC] Why the French Win -- From an Insider - Jackie Causgrove

A clarification is needed.  In the subject title I noted: one aspect why the French win.  Also from my post, I was talking in generalities and about a collective  mindset/cultural differences.  The French, in general, do well in the various equine sports.  Maybe not every year and certainly not in every disipline.  However, there are differnces between the US and French systems and I thought they were interesting.

That's all.  :0
Jackie

k s swigart <katswig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Why the French win.....

I must confess that my overriding reponse to seeing this subject line in
the archives along with all the many posts/questions about "why the
French win?" is to say to myself....

....but the French DIDN'T win. Like the US, at this event, the French
team wasn't even in the running. It was the Italians who won, the
Belgians, the Australians, and the Canadians were the only teams to even
finish.

I think this is something that some people ought to take into
consideration before trying to figure out how the US endurance riders
can be more like the French.

Considering that this year's showing was about as bad of a showing as
the US team has ever made at a WEC and that this year the selection and
preparation process was done in such a way as to attempt to emulate the
French model, one MIGHT consider that attempting to emulate the French
isn't necessarily the road to success. Especially since it didn't work
much better for the French this time than it did for the US :).

Personally, if one looks back at the years when the US was most
successful at the WEC (the early years), the evidence suggests that the
best way to select a team is to have people who would like to go apply
telling why they think they would be the best for it, have the selectors
pick the ones that they think would be best for it, and then let those
individuals manage their horses to their best.

It is, after all, what worked so well in the past :).

kat
Orange County, Calif.