[RC] Ponying - Jonni

She comes to a dead stop and I end up losing the lead rope.  How can I
train her to poop and walk at the same time?<<<

It is not that she needs to learn to poop and walk, she needs to learn she
can't get away with stopping, for what ever reason. She has found out that
she CAN stop, and nothing happens (except you lose the rope).  I do a LOT of
ponying. Not all horses take the same set up of halter and lead. Some a lead
rope snapped to the halter is fine, while another needs a stud chain around
the whole nose and under the chin to remind him to be good. Another needs a
chain just under the chin. Often you need to change the equipment some, to
get them to respect you leading them. A few tips. NEVER tie them off to the
riding horses saddle hard and fast, or use a dally on the horn that can not
easily be undone in an emergency. But, don't be afraid to take a single
dally, and let the horse you are on do the pulling if they stop, instead of
your arm. Teach them to lead well, and respect coming forward when asked at
home on the ground, before trying to do so from on top of another horse.
And I teach mind to go up next to me, with their head near my knee, but to
fall back behind me on narrow trails. I bet I am ponying a horse along on
over half of my training rides.

Jonni